Monday, October 01, 2007

sunday in portsmouth


I spent the day in Portsmouth, New Hampshire yesterday. Met up with an old friend and rubbed shoulders with all the tourists. It was a rather busy day in this little New England town. My best guess is that many of the out-of-towners were from Boston or New York, based on my stereotypical assumptions (accents, fashion, license plates, etc). But I too was a tourist, and happy to be one. I don't think I've been out of state in a whole year. Yikes. It felt good to be away, if only an hour away, from home. I really need to do this more.

I took these photos toward the end of the day. The shadows cast by the 4:00 sun were severe. The downtown streets are narrow enough to cast one side in bright light and the other in dark shade. It presented one unique photo challenge after another.

As a general rule I don't much care for New Hampshire. Save for three exceptions: Portsmouth, just over the border from Maine, is on the water (Piscatequa River), and is a pleasant enough stop going to or coming from Boston. Also, it has beautiful olde New England architecture and like Portland, it's paved with brick and cobblestone. My second exception is the drive through the White Mountains in the central part of the state. It's a rare jaunt as it's completely out of the way, but well worth it. My third exception is the town of Hanover. Another border town, just over the Vermont line, Hanover is small and picturesque. It also is home to Dartmouth College, which has one of the best libraries I've ever been to. Other than those three, New Hampshire is rather boring and drive-thru-ish. Yawn inducing, even.

There was a chorus of folk singing old sailor songs in the town square. Folky and a bit hokey, but quite enjoyable. The man in black with the glasses took the lead while the others harmonized along.

"Back in olden times, I sang fer my ladee, on the shores of Canadee..." etc.

In many ways, Portsmouth feels like an extension of Portland. Not so different, really.





Hey Favor, I finally tried it. You are correct. Tis good eats.






Here's a shop for R&R. View the interesting architecture while you shop for fossils and rocks.


There's Maine, to the right, over yonder.

A perfect fall day, all in all...