Tuesday, November 14, 2006

backpages: 93 to 99

Being unemployed, I have found an uncomfortable amount of free time to myself. When I'm not job hunting, I'm usually cleaning, walking dogs, reading books, napping or most recently, cleaning up my seemingly bottomless pit of photos. I've mentioned before, photo archiving is a major chore. It's a futile effort, really. I can't count the number of times I've started a photo archiving project with the best intention to be neat and tidy, only later to be on the floor surrounded with a thousand bits of my past, looking back at me, reminding me of where I am now. One can't help but reminisce and reflect on all the places they've been, all the choices they've made, all the people they have known. Some of these people I still know. Some I fear I may never see again. Old friends from college. Old chums now living who knows where. Old old old. It's a trip.

And now I feel the need to bring these memories to life again by sharing them with other eyes. Bearing one's soul on a blog is one part self-indulgence, one part boredom. But it's also kinda fun. The way I see it, if you're here reading this, you're interested.

This set of photos is not a chronicle of anything in particular. It's more of a smorgasbord of random images, captured between the good years of 1993 and 1999. During this vacuum of time, I was in school, in Boston, traveling in Ireland and the UK, and moving out west. More interesting than anything, to me, are the years I spent going to Goddard College. It was there I molded into the person I am today. Freaky, witty, clumsy and classy. That's me. But don't expect order to these photos. There is none. I'm just bouncing around the space/time continuum here. Chaos is my friend. Order can kiss my Irish patoot.

Here's a group photo of (almost) the entire school population of Goddard College circa fall 1993. I made an effort to point out Favor and myself. In many ways this was the beginning of adulthood and the end of childhood. Though at times it felt like adult childhood. Click image for larger version.

Plainfield, Vermont. Also known as Magicland.

Oooo, brooding 19 year old self-portrait. This is actually one of the better photos I've taken of myself. I was that young once.

Ryan and me, somewhere in London, 1998.

Prior to that trip I spent a semester in Ireland during the fall of 1995. Here I am on Inishmore, one of the Aran Islands, early September. I noted in my journal that this was one of the best days of my life. That sentiment remains true today.

Chandra, summer 1994. Portland, Maine.

The Clockhouse area at Goddard.

I was quite theatrical for a time. Here I am with good friend Brad, who was also my theater partner. I believe we were at a Cure party of some sort.

More theatrics.

Dear friend Jess. This was taken one evening exploring the campus during fall 1993. He was walking around with a video camera. I was in tow, taking pictures of him. I believe he was impersonating a fish here.

Ryan and me at the Louvre in Paris. Just like the Da Vinci Code, eh? This was on a hot summer day in 1998. We actually didn't go into the museum. We were tired. The lines were long. And the Louvre is like the size of eight football fields.

Blond friends at Goddard, 1993.

Favor, friend and muse.

Me and Lucas, Mohegan Island, 1999.

Ryan and cousin Aaron, Windsor Castle, 1998. Nana's coming around the bend.

Juno at barely one year. As a pup he was quite svelte.

Me and friend Craig, having what seems to be a good time. Oh, I'm guessing 1994 or '95 here. Much good clean fun was had at Goddard.

Jillian and me painting on 'work day'. Goddard, spring 1996.

Two favorite folk: Jess and Favor.


Me and Aaron, Windsor Castle. Traveling makes you tired.

Brad and me.

Looking disturbed in 'Endgame'.

Here I am doing my best tourist impersonation on the Eiffel Tower.

Emily in Ireland.

Jen in Montpelier, Vermont. Fall 1994.

Stu, Kathleen and myself in Plainfield. I was saying goodbye to them and to Vermont before moving to Oregon. Late summer, 1999. That was a bittersweet day.

Favor, moon and stars, 1994.

Me, Kelly and Ryan. I honestly can't remember what year. Definitely mid to late 90's.

Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge in Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland, 1995. Here I am doing my best Indiana Jones. The bridge spans a chasm some eighty feet deep and leads to a large rock on the northern coast. Pretty cool as I remember. More info here at this website: (click here)

Chandra, 1994.

E, 1996.


Jen and a different Chandra. Goddard, fall 1994.

Promo shot for True West, by Sam Shepard. A very violent play, as I recall. I got banged up a bit. During one performance, the audience almost had a typewriter thrown at them. Not intentionally, of course.

Me and Jillian.

Jess, surprised.

Colleen in Ireland.

The lower gardens, Goddard.

Me and Jen.

School daze.

Goddard Medieval Fair, spring 1994.

Release party for The Cure's 'Wild Mood Swings' in 1995. Yes, it was important. Jillian and I had a knack for imposing The Cure onto other people.

Jenna, spring 1994.

Ground Control to Major Duh.

::CLICK::

Interested in something. Boston, late 1997.

Face off with Kelly. Graduation dinner, May 1997.

Town of happy, Montpelier, Vermont.

Favor and Lucas. '94? '95?

Fun with Juno. Boston, 1998.

Me n' Fav, Oregon coast. May 1999.

More darkroom fun.

Graduation. The bubble was about to burst. May 1997.

Um.. dude?