Tuesday, October 17, 2006

year two begins

[leaving oregon]

[montana through the train window]

[montana = purgatory]

So begins the task of settling in eastside once again. Funny how I pre-empted the start of my second year back east with a wash of west coast activity and nostalgia. The wedding was a bit of magic, not just for R&R, but also for my family. It's been a looong time since we celebrated with the McKenna and Higgins clans in such fashion. I was enjoying myself so much I think I forgot a) how old I am, and b) where I actually live. Once the wedding was over and done, and everyone had left, there I was, in Portland, Oregon..like nothing ever happened.

Coming back east was a kick in the pants. Though it was really really good to be home again, I couldn't help how unsettled I felt. The first few days back after any trip are always a bit strange on the brain. But the heart suffers too. Especially if you have personal connections with a place. Especially if you lived there for half a dozen years.

What's helped ease the transition is the fact that it's fall again. The colors on the trees are especially therapeutic right now. And the cool air helps me think clearly. Feeling the creative juices flowing again, I pulled out the camera and started walking around.

[mood lighting kenna's crib]

[Congress Street]

[Moulton Street]

The Standard Baking Co. A favorite spot to fill up on yummy bread products.

Bull Moose Music. The Everyday Music of Portland, Maine.

Books, Etc. It's no Powell's but it's one of the best book sellers in town.

The Salt photo gallery. Where I go for inspiration sometimes.

The SPACE gallery. Where Portlanders go to look at art and get their weird on.

[war art]


Longfellow Square. Where Portlanders go to get their crazy on.

[cloudy]

[Exchange Street]

Maine State Pier. My "office" for the last month or so.

The two schooners owned by the company I worked for.

One of the job's perks was that I could go sailing any ol' time.

Some of my co-workers.

I do love the tugboats. They always make me smile for some reason.

Another view of my office.

[Wharf Street]

[sunset catcher]