Friday, July 02, 2010

take a walk


I went for a stroll yesterday evening through the bird sanctuary at the Gilsland Farm Audubon Center in Falmouth. An easy drive from Portland, I've been coming here the last couple of years to unwind, bird watch and commune with nature. I usually get out here a couple times a month, weather permitting. There's 65 acres to wander through and for someone who doesn't have a back yard at the moment, it's quite a treat.

The Audubon is currently hosting some sculpture pieces by Brooklyn artist Wendy Klemperer. They're made of salvaged steel and other industrial materials. I was greeted by these life size metal beasts on my way in. Quite stunning up close.



Summer has arrived in Maine with cool breezes and warm weather. After last year's painful deluge, mother nature has been very kind to us so far. Knock on wood.

It was one of those perfect summer nights. I was there between 6-7:30. The weather was great. The combined smells of plant life, wild flowers and distant ocean breezes were the right tonic after a long day. Kind of makes you forget yourself.

The sanctuary grows wild, except for the wide trails that are meticulously groomed. It's sort of like a maze. You won't get lost but you may not know which direction you're going in.

Eventually, you come across a bird watching shelter.

Here's the view from the shelter. This salt marsh is a prime location for bird watching. But as I've discovered, it's tricky work capturing birds on film. I usually spot some birds, fidget with the camera settings, and by the time I look up again they're gone.

Oh, there's a few.

There's another.

Nope, those are berries. No, I did not eat them.

Aside from birds, the sanctuary is home to plenty other critters and creatures. Along the way I encountered several groundhogs. They seem to love the trails. Must be a nice break from navigating through all the growth. They're easily spooked though. I found this one as I turned the corner suddenly. (lower left side of the picture)

As I got closer, I noticed this little fella sauntering over to meet a friend.

Holy crap! Two groundhogs! Those are groundhogs, right? I don't think they're otters. Beavers? I actually have no idea. For now, I'll call them groundhogs.

And then, cute as can be, my two chunky little friends raised their heads simultaneously, giving me the perfect profile shot. The moment after I snapped this they squeaked in unison and ran into the tall grass.

I didn't think I'd be able to catch a snapshot in time since they always make a run for it when they hear you coming. I must have seen seven or eight of them before I got those pictures. Also present along the trails are perfectly dug holes in the earth. It makes me wonder what sort of labyrinth world exists underground. I'm hoping it's like the one in Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Beyond the Earthy wonder, yesterday's sky was breathtaking.

The clouds weren't stormy but they were moving fast. The sun play on the green was great for picture taking. I breathed deep and practiced whistling.

The way back.

Get outside while you can. Take a walk. Come to the Audubon if you're in the area.