Holy crap! I saw Obama today! Do tell! So on Tuesday I get a phone call at work from the White House. True story! Okay, not for me specifically, but the non-profit I work for. We were selected, among other local businesses, to get tickets to see POTUS speak in Portland on April 1st. No joke! In all, we got 5 tickets for the staff, most likely a suggestion made by the Maine Democratic Party to the folks in D.C. How cool is that?!
It's a big deal because hundreds of people waited in the rain on Wednesday morning to get tickets. The tickets were free, but each person in line could only get a total of 2. The line spanned around several blocks, about a half a mile. The earliest folks got there around 4am. And the rain never let up. Me? I got a phone call from the White House. I think I was eating a sandwich at the time.
Yesterday I went to Congresswoman Chellie Pingree's office to pick the tickets up. While there, I had a nice chat with Ms. Pingree and and the young fellow from the White House who was probably no older than 24. All the while local politicians and leaders were walking in and out to collect their VIP tickets. The mayor, a half dozen state senators, city counselors, etc. Did I feel special? Mmm, yes. I never fly first class.
I must say, the buzz of politics is exciting indeed. Since the No on 1 campaign I've had more exposure to Maine politics than I could have ever asked for. Or wanted. But the excitement is contagious. I'm not saying I'm going to change gears entirely but I think I'm game for more politicking. I'd like to keep myself involved, somehow. Even if it's just volunteering.
And so today, in anticipation of seeing my friend, Barack, I got to encounter surly Tea Party folks (though I prefer Tea Baggers), upset crazy liberals (I love them, but they usually smell funny), and good old fashion Democrats (more my speed). The weather was incredible. 62 degrees and sunny after a week of rain. I was jazzed.

The VIP line (I know I know, but how often do I get to be a snob) was easy enough to get through but the longer line of folks spanned a few blocks. I found out later they turned hundreds of people away.
The VIP line (I know I know, but how often do I get to be a snob) was easy enough to get through but the longer line of folks spanned a few blocks. I found out later they turned hundreds of people away.
Once inside the vibe was darn cool. I hadn't been to a political rally since seeing Ralph Nader in 2000 at the Memorial Coliseum in PDX. This wasn't nearly as big an event but it was better. The Portland Expo is small and much more intimate. A basketball court, really. And I got near perfect seats for viewing the Prez.
Then he arrived. Place went nuts.
Love this guy. I had forgotten how much.
He spoke for about 40 minutes. He was funny. Relaxed. Cool. The man was meant to be in front of a microphone.
When he spoke about student loans, the place went berserk. See video below.
The speech was about health reform (duh) and how it will effect small businesses and Mainers in general. Since he won the bill I think a new confidence has enveloped him.
I did my best with the camera. Some good ones. Blurry ones too. I was excited.