Wednesday, January 07, 2009

portland : oregon : december : 2008

Here is a helping of photos from my recent trip out west. This is a large post so you may want to give your computer a second before you start scrolling. I spent Christmas with Ryan & Rebecca and celebrated Ryan's 30th as well. I hadn't been out in longer than I'd like to admit, but it was a great trip. Some much needed time off. Trips away from home should be at least two weeks off in duration. I'd forgotten how important it is that we remove ourselves from what's familiar every so often. Granted, Portland, Oregon is quite familiar to me. I did live there for a time. But the process of travel, the going away, returning to streets I used to walk up and down.. that's an adventure. It has surprise. It's unpredictible. Even though it may be familiar, the process is new and different every time. Travel is a beautiful thing and it's a shame I don't take advantage more often. I've been reminded though. Of what it's like to be elsewhere. To step outside my comfort zone. And it's a very good thing. Thank you to all who made me welcome and all who made time for me. I wish we had more time. Some folks I barely got to see. Some I missed entirely. I have the itch again. To be more frequent. To be more present in your lives. One way or another, I'll see you all real soon.

Photos are in chronological order, for the most part.

Bustling through Milwaukee.

Wolf Point, Montana. Nothing to see here.


Limbo at day's end.

Nowhere, Montana.

Sunset in Montana.

Making way through a snowy Gorge.

Portland, in a rare, clear light.

The first 9 days I was in Portland, it snowed. Not just snow, but ice, snow & ice, ice & snow, and other various combinations. The town shut down for several days, keeping me from visiting more people, sightseeing and getting around in general. The upside was I got to spend real quality time with my lovely hosts and do a lot of catching up. It also made the Christmas season much more festive. In six years of living out there, I never experienced weather like that in Portland. I'm don't think most people had up to that point. The news stations dubbed it 'Snowpocalypse' and 'Arctic Blast 2008'. But really, it was just a lotta fun.

Greyson the kitty. My new best friend, this little boy became my teddy bear for pretty much the whole trip. You'll notice he's in several photos to come.

Misha the cat. This beauty is also known as Meech, Meech-a-weech, Meechums, Chubby Sweets, Big Eyes, Cat Loaf, Chunk, etc...

R and...

...R!

Best bud Christian, making an appearance.

We look like we have headaches. I think I'm just stunned I haven't seen him in two years.

Favor met up with me, Christian and R&R for an evening of catching up, holiday cheer and all-around revelry. Favor's friend spun great tunes that evening, as I recall.

Christian, dimly lit. Anna checks her phone.

The Magical Gingerbread House. Built by us.



Superstar Kitty. The fabulous Liz and Nik came over for a visit one evening. Though my attention was focused squarely on them, somebody else (ahem, Greyson) vied for theirs.

Christmas Eve coziness.

::CLICK::

The family yule log, now digitized.

I'm your best friend?

This one wastes no time with books.

New hat for Pooh Bear.

A fabulous new scarf from Rebecca! I have a new disguise. ..photo by Ryan.

So much to destroy, so little time...

"This book is telling me I need to go to France, as soon as possible."

More presents?

Greyson, always satisfied with the littlest thing.

At the breakfast table, Christmas morning.


It actually snowed Christmas morning.

Taking in the last of the weather.

Fools of Tooks.

I always forget Ryan is taller than me.

Ruby the dog. Bashful as ever in front of the camera.

Christian and me discussing the last few years, the next few, etc. .. photo by R or R.

No Christmas in Portland would be complete without a stroll down Peacock Lane.












I give the thumbs up, inadvertently blocking Rebecca out of the shot. Meanwhile, Ryan takes his eyes off the road. Actually, it was a red light. No reckless driving here. Just a car full of dorks.
Ryan: "My turn for thumbs up!"
Rebecca: "Whatevs."
Me: "Pretty lights, everywhere."

R&R humor me while I take yet another photo. We hit downtown the day after Christmas.

Who's that guy?

Fuzzy love.

Though it was a rainy snowy mix, downtown was beautiful that evening.

Pioneer Courthouse Square Christmas Tree.

Rebecca and the City.

The cuteness escalates.

Onto another outing about town. This time, at a place called EastBurn (once known as Nocturnal). Rebecca, Ryan, Matt, Christian and meself. They make tasty burgers here, I must say. My last evening with the fellas. Oh, bittersweet me.

Rebecca and Matt, tableside.

Matt and Ryan, side table.

I used to live with these guys. They're the awesomeist.

Insert caption here.

The best male friends money can buy.

Red Pepper. Rebecca is a good sport for putting up with us idiots.
Cheers, dude.
As luck would have it, my friend Rachel happened to be visiting the west coast the same time as me. Here are a few taken on a snowy walk in Troutdale, with Rachel, Favor and Ollie the dog.
Rachel and Favor go all the way back to high school. (middle school, even?)
I've been their pal since ye olde college days. Two of my favorite people ever.
Sweet Ollie. I've missed this pooch. Can you feel the love?
Mr. Man catching up on the what lies ahead for the Giants.
More downtown scenery to chew on.
Speaking of chewing, this, folks, is the best burrito in America. The truly delightful and inexpensive Chile Relleno from Ole Ole. I had one the day before I left. Sorry, east coasters. You haven't had a burrito til you've been out west. Seriously. I used to live off these things.


I friggin love this picture.

Home again, old school style. I'll miss you, northwestern world...

Homeward through the Rockies...