Monday, November 12, 2007

hibernal

I awoke this morning with fragments of a dream still lodged in my cerebral cortex. I usually forget all the details of my dreams by the time I rinse the shampoo out of my hair. But last night's dream was different. It had something to do with a giant portal. I had the ability to leap great distances. And my cat had wings. My dead cat Juno, that is. We were on some astral adventure and while I don't remember all the finer points, I remember having a blast. I was leaping over rolling fields. Like the ones I drove past in Iowa. There were fireworks in the distance. Something about a diner too. There were live deer walking around this diner, eating scraps of food off the floor. And Juno was flying about. At some point I was on a hill looking at the previously mentioned portal, which happened to go all the way up to the sky. It reminded me of a painting by Zdzislaw Beksinski I had been looking at the other day. The one pictured to the left. It's one of my favorite images. Like an image of heaven. Not that this was a heavenly dream. Even with my dead cat, it didn't feel that way. More of a bizarre reunion with an old friend. I woke up with my other cat Dovey smushed up against me, snoring. In fact, it was the snoring that woke me. Now I find myself trying to jot down these scattered details before I forget them all.
I worked til 2:00am last night (this morning?) and didn't get to bed til nearly 3:00am. Hooray for the holiday, allowing me my supernatural slumber. Another great thing about deep sleep is how refreshed and zippy you can feel the next day. Add a shot or two of espresso and I'm like a slingshot. Shazam! Today is a crisp November day, helping make my groove all the groovier. We had our first real cold snap a couple days ago. A blunt reminder of what's to come. But today is pleasant. Most of the leaves have fallen, save for a few Japanese Maples now peaking red.
Things are good here. Nothing major to report at this time. Just keeping busy. Trying to pay off the ills of summer (literally). It's slow going but I'm hopeful for some relief in the new year. And the holidays are upon us too. Yeesh. Sort of a mixed blessing. Exciting, if not a bit sad. The older we get, the more difficult it is to be around as many loved ones as possible, in the same place at the same time. This year especially seems spread out. All my loved ones are farther apart than ever. I know, that's life. It never gets easier though. I really should get one of those credit cards that earns miles. Not that I need another credit card.
My apologies for the lack of posts lately. It's not that I don't have anything to say. I'm either busy, don't have the computer time or am just lazy. But really, I don't have much to say at this moment. Alas, I am a bore. But I am well (and well rested). I hope to have some family imagery up soon. A recent nephew's birthday and Halloween should provide me with worthy posting material. I've also started a new comic strip of sorts which I'll be posting once in a while. I has to do with crank phone calls and bad recipes. Speaking of calls, my apologies for all the games of cross country phone tag I'm currently playing with people. If my calculations are correct, I'm "it" now. Gosh dang land lines. To you sicklies, eat your soup, take your vitamins and get some sleep. Or, as Mr. T might say, "Eat your greens! Drink milk! Stay in school!" Okay, I don't know what I just said. I'll stop here. Maybe I'm still dreaming.