Thursday, July 27, 2006

Maine Journal: Route 1

Bath to Biddeford
U.S. Route 1 (also called U.S. Highway 1, and abbreviated US 1) is a United States highway which parallels the east coast of the United States. It runs 2,390 miles (3,846 km) from Key West, Florida in the south, to Fort Kent, Maine at the Canadian border in the north. US 1 generally parallels Interstate 95, though it is significantly further inland (west) between Savannah, Georgia and Petersburg, Virginia.
These photos document some of the small towns in southern Maine that Route 1 travels through. Starting in the small town of Bath (40 miles north of Portland) and finishing in Biddeford (18 miles south of Portland), this is part one of a photo series exploring Maine's coastal route. Why? Because I have to get in the car and take pictures sometimes, that's why.
Bath is famous for its shipbuilding. It's home to the famous Bath Iron Works (BIW). Founded in 1884 by Thomas W. Hyde, BIW has built private, commercial, and military vessels. Its biggest customer has been the U.S. Navy, for which BIW has built (and often designed) a battleship, frigates, cruisers, and destroyers. Wave that flag.
Quaint, in that New England kind of way. A lovely little town though. I was suprised by how big some the houses are. Lot of old money in this town.

Shipbuildin'.
This old wooden church resides in Brunswick, the next town to the south. The last time I was in Brunswick was about fifteen years ago. I saw Shawn Colvin perform in this church. It was right when she was starting out. (Later in her career, Shawn would start writing "Hallmark Card" quality songs. Sorry, fans. She used to be good. It's harsh, I know.)
Bowdoin College in Brunswick.
Walking through a fancy Liberal Arts campus always makes me feel smarter than I actually am.
The effect usually lasts the duration of the walkthrough.

Downtown Bruswick. Another big city.
But in all seriousness, they have a nice natural foods store (above). I bought cashew butter for the first time in ages. It actually cost less than ten dollars.
Freeport, Maine. Where people spend their money when they come to Vacationland.
Home, of course, to L.L. Bean. About a million people take this very picture every day. I would have taken more pictures of Freeport, but it's all outlet stores and restaurants.
Instead, I took several pics at Old Orchard Beach, the Coney Island of Maine.


Half the people who come to Maine in the summer go to Old Orchard Beach. It's one of the busiest little burgs in Maine in the summer, thanks to its sandy beaches, fatty food and carnival rides. A real hootenanny of a tourist trap. Not my favorite place in the world. But the water slides looked nice. Maybe I'll go back towards the end of the season.


Saco is the next town to the south. Not much to see here.

Except more beach.

Finally, we end up in Biddeford. Despite a lagging downtown, Biddeford apparently is one of Maine's fastest-growing commercial centers. Hard to imagine as it was a ghost town the day I was there. I felt like I was in a short story by Stephen King.
The Saco river runs through the town, dividing into two falls that once provided water power for the old mills. Factories were established to make boots and shoes. Granite quarries and brickyards operated, in addition to lumber and grain mills. The mills are huge and unfold in the center of town. So between the mills and the empty streets, Biddeford kinda gave me the creeps. Here's hoping the more south we go, the nicer it will be.
And I think it will be nicer. Biddeford is just, I dunno, weird.
Next time on Route 1, we'll explore the towns of Kennebunk, Kennebunkport (Bush HQ!), Wells, Ogunquit, York and Kittery.
End of part one. Ayessah.