Friday, April 21, 2006

Happy Spring from (the other) Portland



Well well well, if it isn't Spring again. Sure, we technically passed the equinox like, a month ago. But it's actually feeling like Spring out there now. And even though our mild winter irked us to no end (it snowed like five times) the warmer air certainly is inviting. All the seasonal smells, the trees budding, the short-sleeve wearing, the dog shit thawing...I welcome it all.

Work is starting to really feel like work. I have all sorts of responsibilities. And lots of trainings and conferences and meetings. I'm starting to feel a bit more square than usual. I'm not complaining. Surely, if I didn't have a job I'd be whining and moaning non-stop. But I do wonder how my travel plans will be influenced by my new ever-filling schedule. Not to mention my various avocations. I'm now licensed at the local community radio station and am vying for a show slot. And I may soon be volunteering at a nearby animal shelter.

Of course I have that um, event in early September. I'll be in PortlandWest for at least 2 weeks for that. But I wonder now how I'm going to swing an earlier trip. I'm not saying no. I'm just saying I'm working on it. A few of you out there have expressed an interest in seeing PortlandEast this summer. If you are still, the next few months I'm wide to receive. And I think the first floor ladies are too. Let's share our schedules so we don't overlap.

Starting to get serious about my apartment. F'rinstance, I still only utilize three quarters of the space. Going to be rolling up some sleeves soon. (shaking fist at sky, cursing winter funk) Painting, more furniture, more accents, potentially more pets. My walls are mostly decorated with my own art, which I find ever so lame. I have a few pieces made by others but I could certainly use some more. So think of me next time you need to rid yourself of your own brilliance. Besides art, I am always accepting mixed CD's, cards and Stumptown coffee. Well, that last item is a tall order. We drink Starbucks here because the local brew is much to be desired. It's not that it's bad. The poor east coasters just don't know what they're missing.

Well, enough babble. Let's go for another drive and look at the splendid weather.

Don't try this at home, kids. Keep both hands on the wheel.

Taking pictures while driving is fun.

And somewhat risky.

But hey, I'm a crazy man.

Hey, it's the State theater. Hey, it's the Bud Light truck. Hey, it's some guy in the rear-view mirror. Hey, I don't know what to say so I'm just making it up as I go.

Okay, getting into some traffic here.

Do de do.

Maine College of Aaaht, coming up on the right.

Some guy just got pulled over behind me. Do de do.

Red light at Monument Square.

Long red light.

Driving up Munjoy Hill, looking for the ocean.

Yaaar, there she is, minnows.

Excelsior!

That was nice, yes? Okay, now stop procrastinating and get back to work. I'll have another update soon, as well as my College follies, more music items, a link to an on-line art show I'm involved in and maybe another video. (Check out the one below. It's a beauty.) I hope all is well with you. I miss you. I miss you large.

Love,

K