Sunday, March 12, 2006

darkroomed

Here are some more pix from the archives. This batch consists of experiments and happy accidents. Some of these I don't take too seriously. Some are among my favorites.


The pic to the left is pretty funny. I was trying to look arty and French. I think it worked. I look kinda strung out though. That one's about eight years old.



Ireland, 1995. One of my favorite days ever. One of my favorite shots ever.

A happy accident here. Long exposure, leaving us with two Noras. It looks a little spooky but it's one of my best shots of these two . .or is it three?

One of my old photo partners. Nothing unique about it. Just like this one is all.

Smokey. Another favorite. I guess this would be self-portrait a la mode. Someone told me once that's what you call a self-portrait with other people in the the shot. I've always liked the way our fingers look in this one.

I used to sometimes obstruct the light coming from the enlarger. The idea was to be messy on purpose. It was always a good release when I was burnt out from trying to find perfection. I learned to cherish the scraches and lines. They add an element of realism, I've always thought.

Sometimes out of frustration, I just start painting on the photo. It's nothing original but it's fun. Keeps me from throwing it out right away.

I've always liked how I caught the smoke coming off his cigarette.

Under-exposing is another favorite technique. Adds an element of mystery.

This shot was originally a polaroid. I enlarged it on a photo-copier, then took a picture of the photo-copy. I like to sometimes look at images through a few filters. Taking a picture of a picture is one way of doing it. Time-consuming but excellent fun.

A messy shot of a statue at Trinity College in Dublin. The high-contrast makes him look even creepier than he already is.

I often take pictures on really bright days. This one is high in contrast only because the day was like that. This pic was taken a long time ago in Castine, Maine.

Here's me really not giving a damn. I like it a lot though.